Planes, taxis, rental cars, oh my! (part 2)

On the way to the rental car place, our taxi narrowly avoided a turtle trying to cross the road. It was actually a 5 lane highway and he was just starting to cross the road. As we swerved around him, I saw him tuck his head into his shell and I thought, turtle vs highway, does not look good for turtle. I hope that he made it or at least decided to turn around. Did I mention that we were in Detroit. Who knew turtles like to hang out in Detroit?

Once we were settled into our rented Chevy Impala, we began the slow trek through rush hour traffic to Lansing, MI. A few hours later, after one snack stop (oreos, fritos and gatorade – we’re really healthy on the road!) and one nursing stop, we arrived at the YMCA for a lovely dinner with close friends and family of the bride and groom. There was a little bit of pass-the-baby, but B was tired and wanted mama. It was maybe the third time that he has shown a bit of stranger fear in big group situations.

A little part of me secretly loves when he starts to wail and then throws his arms out towards me. I gather him up and tell him he’s fine and he ducks his face into my shoulder (and he immediately stops crying). Intellectually, I know that he knows I’m his mom, but the emotional side of me feels oddly validated when he so obviously chooses me over everyone else. I guess that might be where the concept of “mama’s boy” begins.

Don’t worry. I don’t hog him too much. I make sure to calm him down and then tell him that “fill-in-the-blank” is going to hold him again and that he is doing great…

B asleep as the wedding band begins to play

Both nights of our trip, we made sure to get B to bed around the usual time and we totally lucked out with pretty average nights that included 2 night feedings. Despite being overtired, the whole weekend, B. had plenty of smiles to share with everyone. We tried to give him some space for his 2-3 daily naps but they tended to be short since he was so excited and since they weren’t in the most optimal settings. We also tried hard to avoid public meltdowns. It’s amazing how a baby will immediately calm down if you go outside. I think everyone ends up happier that way.

For the trip back home, we actually flew out of Lansing, had a 2 hour layover in Chicago, a 3 hour flight to Denver and then got home at 9:45pm. Overall, I preferred the fly and drive vs the 2 flights and a layover. Either way, it’s a long day for a 5 mo old who has never really traveled before.

Bailey really showed us how amazingly resilient and adaptive babies can be. Once we got through the first day of change which included some expected fussiness and crying; it seemed like he adapted to being in a constantly changing environment. Although his naps were short and not very deep, he barely fussed about the situation and always awoke smiley and ready to go. I was really impressed. In fact, I think we slept worse than he did. During the night, it felt like our hotel room was permanently lit to resemble 6am in the morning. Why can’t hotels invest in some good room darkening shades? It’s a simple thing that would make hotel stays sooo much better.

And before you think, oh I guess this baby is really portable and doesn’t need the daily routine of naps at home (or in one stationery place); he did make up his sleep once we got back home. The first day back, he took two 3-hour naps, and then crashed for a 12 hour night. The next day, he was at grandma and grandpa’s house and was still overtired. He had a hard time napping and spent most of the day rubbing his eyes, fussing and wailing but also refusing to go down for his naps. We owe grandma and grandpa a big treat for dealing with the aftermath of a whirlwind weekend trip.

I hope that today he is back to his normal routine because next week, he starts daycare two days a week. Eeek!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s